Get from Changsha to Yueyang via the Beijing-Zhuhai Expressway. Once there ascend Yueyang Tower to enjoy a view of magnificent,1600 kilometer circumferenced Dongting Lake; visit Zhang Guying Village, called as the first village in the world, and also Qu Yuan Temple. Then go up the Miluo River via the Pingliang-Longnan Expressway to Mufu Mountain in Pingjiang County. Along the way are thick forests, clean streams, and colorful wildflowers covering the mountains and plains. Ramble yourself a bit, then go rafting and taste authentic farm food afterwards.
Standing on the bank of Dongting Lake in the northwest of Yueyang City, Yueyang Tower, along with the Yellow Crane Tower in Wuhan and the Prince Teng's Pavilion in Nanchang, is one of the three great towers in south of the Yangtze River. It used to be a watchtower for the soldiers garrisoning the city gate and taking a test. However, towards the end of the Eastern Han Dynasty, this tower was changed to an inspection tower to review troops by General Lu Su of the Wu Kingdom (222). In 716 during the Tang Dynasty when Secretariat Director Zhang Yue was garrisoning Yueyang, he further expanded the tower and named it Nanlou or Yueyang Tower. In 1044 when the Song Dynasty general Tang Zijing garrisoned the place, he renovated the Yueyang Tower and invited his bosom friend, Fan Zhongyan, a well-known writer, to compose an essay Records of the Yueyang Tower, which won the tower great fame home and abroad. The Yueyang Tower is unique in architecture. Its three-storey main building is 21.35 meters high, with four huge nanmu pillars supporting the upturned roof ridges. One of its unique features is that its roof looks just like a general's helmet. Full Story
Junshan Scenic Area
Junshan Scenic Area-the largest island in Dongting Lake, is also called the "Love Island". It is made up of 72 peaks, covering a total area of 960 square meters. Junshan is the 11th blessing land under heaven and has been listed as the national AAAA scenic area. The main tourist attractions on the island include Liu Yi's Well, Tombs of the Two Empresses, Mottled Bamboo, Dragon's Saliva Well, Xiangfei Temple etc.
Dedicated to the two wives of Emperor Shun-Ehuang and Nuying the temple is 70 meters north of the tombs of the two Empresses. Comprising three courtyards, this building covers an area of 960 square meters. The 400-character-long couplets on the gate of the first courtyard are about this temple. The four-character plaque on the gate of the second courtyard reads "Whatever requested will be granted". The third gate leads to the main hall which houses the statues of the two empresses. Full Story
Qu Yuan Temple
The temple was built to commemorate Qu Yuan, a great patriotic poet and senior official of the State of Chu during the Warring State Period(475-221BC). Being slandered and expelled from the court, he came to live on the Mount Yusi by the Miluo River. Despite of his helplessness in saving the country, he drowned himself in the Miluo River.
Built firstly in 1754 in memory of this great man, the temple stands on the Yusi Mountain on the northern bank of the Miluo River at its lower reaches. This south-facing temple of wood and brick structure has a series of three courtyards. Its front gate has three arches, the gateway and side wall are carved with 17 reliefs on Qu Yuan. In the central hall or the memorial hall is a huge board inscribed with the Biography of Qu Yuan written by ancient historian Sima Qian, as well as a shrine behind which is a pavilion. Some golden and silver osmanthus trees 300 years old are growing there. A statue of Qu Yuan is standing aloft in the hall of the third courtyard, and the life stories of Qu Yuan are described on the houses on two sides of the hall. Near the temple, there is a forest of steels of Qu Yuan works, all are inscribed in the calligraphy of famous modern Chinese calligraphers. In 2001 the place was put on the list of cultural relic sites under key state protection. It is one of the major scenic spots in the Yueyang Tower national scenic resort area by the Dongting Lake.
The main tourist attractions in the temple include the Steel Forest of Qu Yuan, Heavenly- Questioning Altar, Lament Pavilion and Nine-song Terrace.
Admission (for reference): RMB 15 yuan/person
Key Words:Zhang Guying Village
Themes:cultural relics , historical sites
Suitable for: family, students, the elderly
The newly discovered Zhang Guying Village is an ancient architectural cluster built over 600 years ago during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644). It is located at the foot of Bijia Mountain in the mountainous Weidong area east of Yueyang County and is 73 kilometers (about 45 miles) from the downtown area of Yueyang City. Enjoying the fame as the 'Folk Imperial Palace' and 'First Village under the Sun', Zhang Guying Village covers an area of 50,000 square meters (about 12 acres) featuring carved pictures on surface of the building, a zigzag laneway and the occult dooryard. The architectural style imparts an air of mystery.
Address: at the foot of Bijia Mountain in the mountainous Weidong area east of Yueyang County and 73 kilometers (about 45 miles) from the downtown area of Yueyang City
Tickets: 39 Yuan
Opening hours: 8:00 ---- 18:00
The Mufu Mountains are a sub-range of the Luoxiao Mountains stretching roughly southwest-northeast for about 200 km from Pingjiang County, in Hunan, to Jiujiang County in Jiangxi. It covers 6,468 hectares with it highest peak reaching 1,606 meters.
Known as a “gene bank” for flora and fauna its forest coverage rate is nearly 94%. It has the largestTaiwan Red Pine[pinustaiwanensis] area, more than 1,100 hectares, south of the Yangtze. It is home to one class I national protected animal, the clouded leopard (Neofelisnebulosa), and 22 species of class II national protected animals including, among others, as the flat-chested tortoise, the tiger frog, the macaques, the pangolin, the jackals otter, and the big civet.
Anciently, Mufu was a strategically important battlefield. Well-preserved stone inscriptions along the mountain roads provide a chance to learn about the stories of ancient China. In addition to its profound culture, Mufu Mountain Forest Park is famous for its spectacular scenery, sparkling waterfall, ancient temples, rare flora, blooming flowers, and vast mountain meadows. Its perfect ecological tourism resources resulted in its being approved as a national level park by the State Forestry Administration of PRC in 2005.